Monday, September 15, 2008

Get Your Learn On

A few things you might not have known about my 3rd love, hip-hop.

1) The final verse in Weezy's "Mr. Carter" is taken directly from Jay-Z's Lucky Me.


Y'all dont even know every day I'm livin with stress

Got up out the streets you think a nigga could rest
Can't even enjoy myself at a party unless
I'm on the dance floor hot ass vest
You think I'm freakin' these chicks right?
I'try not to brush against they chest
You get a lawsuit for shit like that, I feel trapped
Swear to everything when I leave this earth
It's gon' be on both feet, never knees in the dirt
You could try me fucka but when I squeeze it hurts, fine
We'll lose two lives, yours and mines
Gimme any amount of time dont let Ms. Carter grieve
at the funeral parlor drippin' tears on my sleeve
Told the judge didn't budge it was him or me
and I ain't trying to be hard but I'm guilty as charged
Put my mercy on this court and my faith in God
And pray hard none of my nephews wanna be stars...Lucky Me

We can give Dwayne the - when I say a B.I.G. verse I'm only biggin' up my brother - credit, and assume that he's paying homage to the greatest alive, but there has been a rumor for a while that this line is tatted somewhere on Wayne's body. Suspect? Eh, not as suspect as kissing another man and getting his portrait tatted over your heart.

2) Nas and The Firm were with Aftermath. So you take Nas, Foxy, AZ and either Cormega and Nature. Then, you put them with Dre's beats. Super group's rarely work, but Nas and Dre never getting matched up quite the way they should've been, and Nas' disappearing act that we like to call I Am... and Nastradamus did come around the same time. Multiply those by the fact that Nas' largest criticism is that he can't pick beats and well, we might've missed out on something major.

3) Pharrell & Chad produced Mase's Lookin' At Me all the way back in 1997

And to finish it off, I'll leave you with a few lines

Q-Tip in "Buggin Out" on The Low End Theory
You can't get your own and that's, pitiful

Jay-Z in the aforementioned (yeah, I just said that word) "Lucky Me"
Niggas wanna strip to the bone for shit you own
Hate a nigga like that f**g*t, get your own

There's more, but I'll save those. Peace.

1 comment:

TRè said...

I noticed that. Now the only thing left to do is go back to early Weezy albums and see what else he has "recycled" but P.Mack I'll leave that to you.

not a Weezy fan like that.