Tuesday, September 16, 2008

VOTE

The good fellas of Nerdy McFly wrote a recent piece about Obama and how his DNC speech was on the anniversary of Martin Luther King's historic speech in which he asked if we could be judged on the content of our character, rather than the color of our skin.

I would say that we have reached that day, but I'm sure the parents of the Jena 6 kids and Sean Bell would disagree.

That said, I would like to impress upon the importance of voting on everyone who has the ability to do so. I have a couple of reasons, the first being that you really have no right to complain if you chose to not vote for your elected officials. The second reason is that this is the most historic election in our nation's history, something to tell your children and grandchildren about. The way my dad put it to me, is that in 50 years when your grandkids ask you if you voted for Barack Obama, the first black president of the United States, the last thing you'll want to say to them is, "Nah, I didn't vote, me and my boys went to the rec and balled instead. I didn't think my vote would matter."

He may not win the election, but I'm going to vote for him, so that if he wins I can say I voted for him, and if he loses I can say we tried. As a black man I feel as if I owe it to those who risked or lost their lives in front of rope, tree, fire hose and police dog.

Change? Sign me up

No comments: